Sunday, August 26, 2012

Kirkland Signature products

I was shopping at Costco today and found that Kirkland has now launched a skincare line at the beginning of this month and already has received very positive feedback. I was particularly drawn to the "Revitalizing Face Serum" and pretty much anchored myself in Costco's cosmetics aisle for a while. I was surprised and I didn't know what to think about it because while I do like Kirkland for their consumable products, I remembered how bad it was for my skin last time I bought a "Vitamin-enriched" skincare product (Thank you, Trader Joe's...) and so decided it was much safer to drop the temptation of buying it and to just go home to read what other people say about it.

Now, honestly people don't know how to help other people with their reviews, but regardless, I'm impressed and have no qualms about shedding some more cash to buy the face serum next time I'm there. It's $20, and it's from Kirkland.

Here's why I like Kirkland:

A few years ago I cut dairy milk from my diet and asked my parents to let me live on soymilk. They were okay with buying Silk Soymilk for a while. It was the soymilk my lactose-intolerant cousin drinks and it was a good brand to start with. Though it was really good, it quickly became expensive per half-gallon, so I had to go back to dairy milk. Easy enough to deal with, I just had to skip breakfast from then on. I'm not lactose-intolerant to the degree of legitimately allergic children, but I couldn't and cannot deal with dairy milk anymore. I did buy other brands of soymilk occasionally on the days I was craving cereal, but nothing else was as good as Silk. One day at Costco we found Kirkland Signature soymilk and my parents decided to buy it because in the end we'd have more soymilk for less money. Kirkland held the same promise for satisfaction as Silk, and both brands have provided me with delicious soymilk. Today I still drink Kirkland soymilk because it's delicious and really does give the most bang for my buck.

Another Kirkland product won my heart this summer when I was in pursuit of good and affordable green tea. My aunt likes to bring bags of loose tea leaves (of tea I don't even know the names of in English) from Vietnam when she visits, and loose-leaf teas take too much time and effort for me to prepare and as an American, I like things to be instant. Sometimes my mom buys small boxes of green tea that hold 20 tea bags but they are expensive to keep buying in the long run when we want to drink green tea every day for 365 days. Some years ago my dad's friend gave us a box of a hundred green tea bags from a Korean tea brand and it was so great to make delicious tea effortlessly for months and months, but when we were out we couldn't seem to find the same brand in the Asian supermarkets here. (I'm sure they're here, but my mom's sense of only noticing things of low-price must not have picked it up... AKA too much $$$.) One time we bought a really cheap box of 100 green tea-bags and it was really worth its price ($1.99). I've only rarely had good green tea since.
By the end of the Vietnamese summer seminars program I was attending, we had a party and by the tea station I found Kirkland green tea. (It's not all Kirkland, the tea blend belongs to Ito En which is supposedly the top manufacturer of green tea in Japan but is packaged under Kirkland.) It was a blend of matcha and sencha and I was really digging it from the first sip. :) My mom was impressed too and we both sought out to find it on our next trip to Costco. And what a deal! 100 bags of really GOOD green tea for only $14! For 100 bags of less-than-Ito En-good green tea, that's $20 roughly, so I was ecstatic from picking it out of the aisle to lining up to buy it. To anyone who is interested in green tea, this blend is really interesting. Sencha typically brews yellow in 3 minutes, but this sencha-matcha blend brews light green in 30 seconds, and really, you could brew this blend of green tea for 3 minutes even, but I stop at 30 seconds because I like drinking it green.

Today I don't touch other brands of soymilk or green tea, and that's why I'm really looking forward to trying out the Kirkland skincare products or just the face serum at least. Now, if only I could find some cheap and delicious mooncakes seeing as it's almost time for the harvest moon...

No comments:

Post a Comment