Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer and music

NOW I see the importance of making connections.
My schedule for June is looking pretty awesome as of now, minus the stressful schoolwork due in a week, so I shouldn't be blogging, but this is actually kind of important to me so I might as well!

2 June, job as a waitress/helper for a private musical event. I get paid about $60 for the day which is pretty awesome. I'm not already saying the job's going to be easy, but given the description I think I can handle it and I probably will have fun with it and maybe make connections with those musicians performing... :)

15 June, last final exam and last day of my junior year in high school! It's only one more giant leap and I'm so satisfied to have grown so much these past three years in high school. People will always be d-bags in high school, but it gets a lot better when you're a senior is what I figure.

30 June, first official gig at a wedding as a solo violinist! I've got plenty of experience playing for weddings, but I've always done that in my church and with 'my band', the people I play with every Sunday in church. That makes this a giant step into what my mom calls "our business". Last night we had to sit down for about twenty minutes to draft our reply to her email asking for my repertoire list. I'd be there for only 45 min. and would get paid $75 which is pretty rad.

So that's June. I'm crossing my fingers that my former beginning student will come back for cheap summer lessons, because unless I get my butt out of the house and send in my stinking TJ Max job application, that would be my only income. She was an angel, too. She had to quit in October because she was real busy learning how to play flute for band as there's no string orchestra at her school. :( God bless her for pursuing another instrument out of her own efforts.

I think I, myself, will learn to play the cello this summer. In orchestra, while I was waiting for my final assessment I was playing an excerpt from Farandole on my friend's cello. I have been practicing double bass before this year and so cello came a bit easier, especially since the strings are 5ths from each other, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment