Thursday, April 10, 2014

I'm a new person

Gosh, it's been a while since I've actually sat down and put some thought into these blog posts. I've wanted to return to this blog a while ago but I was sucked back into Tumblr after high school- short and shallow posts because no one of my followers would actually want to read what I think.

Beside this, I have discerned the hipster life and entered the order of the moleskines; As in I have started keeping a physical journal by my side to write in when I'm praying or meditating. If I keep up this blogspot account some of those meditations will bleed into this space as well.

As of today I am preparing to finish my second semester at community college. My first year overall has been a fairly calm experience. I didn't experience any rush of energy or high spirit due to the fact that I was truly becoming an adult. I did, however, learn many new things about myself sporadically throughout the two semesters in different classes. I'll share a few below.

I really enjoy math problems. I used to dread going to IB Maths in high school, but this year I looked forward to it every other day. It still would take a LOT to get myself to sit down to open up my textbooks to actually read the problems, but once I start, I don't seem to have any greater motivation to stop and do something else unless I burn out. I took Calculus I my fall semester and had a lot of fun- not with my classmates or with the teacher but with all the problems! Every test I took, it felt like a roller coaster. The curriculum started to get really interesting when we looked deeper into integrals and Riemann Sums. I fell in love in a way with mathematics, and I entertained the idea of just becoming a math major, but I didn't want to deal with proofs, so that actually went out the window shortly afterward.

I'm taking Chemistry II this semester, which involves a lot of tables and math, and it's the only reason I'm enjoying my time and making sense out of the topics of Equilibrium, Buffers, Acids and Bases, and Kinetics. Labs are a little more fun, but only a little more. Beyond this I cannot wait to start Organic chemistry next fall.

Still on the general idea of loving math, this Wednesday in Microeconomics I looked at graphs of various kinds of production costs and had a eureka moment when they looked like derivative graphs. Not only was it a eureka moment, it was a moment where I wanted to walk out and dance in the hallway to house music... I say this because absolutely nothing in this course was interesting enough for me to retain since I started in January. It wasn't until something reminded me of math relationships and graphs familiar to a Calculus textbook that I started to get excited about Microeconomics. It was a really freaky existential kind of moment. Forrealz, I scared myself a lot so far.

I think the most exciting update to talk about now is that I'm becoming an active YouTube uploader now. My summer of four lame covers has somehow taken wind and I've made friends who are interested in the music I cover and in me (??). My most recent upload is my proudest upload, and I truly hope my channel continues to improve.


I'm driving off onto another focus that I should talk about again on some other post. That'll be all for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment